Childcare allowance (Kinderopvangtoeslag)

The Dutch social security system pays an allowance to parents of young children (until the age of 12) to pay for the cost of childcare facilities. Almost every working parent in the Netherlands with an employment contract is eligible to receive financial support from the Dutch Government to help with the cost of childcare. The amount of childcare allowance you may receive depends on a number of factors:

  • Number of children
  • Number of hours children are going to childcare facilities
  • The hourly rate of these facilities
  • Your income

Criteria for eligibility

You are eligible for applying for a childcare allowance when: 

  • You have an employment contract
  • You have a residence permit, if you need a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands legally

Applying for childcare allowance

To receive childcare allowance, you must apply for it with the Dutch Tax Office (Belastingdienst). You can do this online, via, however the online application form is only available in Dutch. You can also fill out a paper application form. This form is also only available in Dutch. 
If you need help applying for childcare allowance, you can contact one of several organisations in the Netherlands who support internationals with a wide range of services, including tax support, e.g. Access:

What do you need to apply for childcare allowance?

To apply for childcare allowance, make sure you have available:

  • Your accumulated income
  • Your social security number
  • Your childcare contract (with monthly cost overview and hours)

© Copyright Zo Childcare 2021

Algemene voorwaarden